Oh Rats! There’s rats in my drain!
Your drainage system plays an important role in the home. Drains that have been correctly installed and looked after then you shouldn’t experience many problems. However, drainage is often forgotten about and once a pipe becomes damaged, it provides an easy entry point into your home for some unwanted furry creatures. Rats can squeeze through the smallest of holes, and once they are in, they can be very difficult to get rid of.
To protect you and your family from unwanted pests we have put together a short guide to help you to identify a rat infestation and understand what action should be taken.
Thankfully, the signs of a rat infestation are always fairly clear. Some of them include:
- Chewed paper, food packaging, electric cables, wood and plastic
- Rat droppings
- Holes gnawed through walls
- Scratching or scrabbling sounds under floors or in walls
- Fit guards over openings to external drains, so the pesky creatures can’t squeeze their way into your pipe work.
- Avoid feeding your pets outside your home, any food dropped on the floor will attract rats, who will then continue to return and find gaps to fit through to enter your home.
If you do discover you have a rat infestation, chances are they are entering through your drainage system.
First of all, try not to panic. It is best to get in touch with pest control. They will be able to fix the problem quickly and effectively and will advise you on the steps to take to prevent it from happening again. A CCTV drain inspection can help to locate how the rats are getting in, and a good drainage company can fix the problem straight away.
If you have had problems with rats in the past, or you simply just want to avoid it from happening in the future, the following steps can be taken:
Leaving damaged drains unaddressed can cause issues to escalate. It is important t get in touch with a professional as fast as possible to deal with the problem. For expert advice on everything from drain unblocking to CCTV drain surveys in Blackpool and Preston, look no further than Jet Force!